Monday, September 24, 2007

The Recovery Question

I have gone to the rooms of recovery now for a little while and I get a little frustrated at the old timers who have a few years of clean time under their belt. I don't mean to lessen their recovery by any means, I commend them all on what they have accomplished. My concern is their attitude of indifference towards any approach to talk about the way a person got clean other than N.A. I myself got off drugs by asking God to save my life, he answered my prayers and removed the desire to stop using. I mentioned this in a meeting and I received an immediate response from an old timer. He said this is not a religious program so don't get it twisted. My response to that remark is, you're right, it's not a religious program, However! it is a spiritual program and God is mentioned so much in the books it will make your head spend. I sit in those rooms and I hear the concerns of people with two to ten years clean. They wonder why their life has not blossomed into something more. Why are they still having relationship problems and why they still have the need to get high. I have even heard old timers who don't want me to get it twisted say, why has my life not been blessed? The answer is simple, The program is based on spiritual principles and the steps are set up for each person to be prepared for the twelveth step, the spiritual awakening. At that step is when you have truly turned your will and your life over to God. If you reach this awakening you become a person who is clean and serene. Your life as you understand it will began to evolve. Relationships will grow, opportunities began to knock. Life as you have known it will no longer exist and the new life you were doing the steps for will start to come to form. For all you recovering addicts and alcoholics maybe , just maybe the newcomer who got saved in church and smiles everyday and shares how they believe that they can conquer the world knows something we don't. I believe they have gotten the eleventh step before they ever set foot in those rooms and God is using the other eleven steps as a tool to keep them clean and serene. So I ask the question, who's got it twisted, the newcomer or you. It seems to me that the old timers are not happy because they are clean but they are not experiencing real recovery, the spiritual awakening. Maybe the true higher power of their choice is the one sitting next to them and not God.

No comments: