Monday, October 01, 2007

Eye Opener

I met lots of people in the rooms who all had the same thing in common, staying clean and serene. I remembered my days in the military and the reason I could not allow myself to get close to anyone. I knew if something happen to someone I became attached to as a result of serving my country the pain would be too great and could possibly hinder my job and efforts to stay alive. I mentioned this because I made friends with a person from the rooms and we became pretty close . I got a call one night from the mom of my friend asking if I could talk to her son. I ask him what was going on and what could I do to help. My friend explained that he had gone back out and started using again. I felt a discomfort come over me because I had at that moment flashbacks of the days when I was using. We talked for a minute before his mom was back on the phone asking if I could do something to help because her son really respected me. I told my wife and we drove that night to their house. My friend and I talked for a while and my wife, myself and his mom tried group intervention. I watched and listened as my friend told me and my wife that we were not wanted or needed. I watched his mom fall apart because of the love in her heart for her son. We sat there until my friend told me that my wife and I were prolonging his get high time and his opportunity to take his mom's purse like many times before. I responded that we were not leaving and he would not take another dime from his mother. My friend got so mad that he attack me and tried to harm me until it hit him that we were there trying to save his life. He ran out the door, took his mom's car and a few days later was arrested. He is now facing 18 months plus other charges possibly giving him more time behind bars. I guess my eyes were really open to the affects of drugs that night and it showed me what will happen if I ever go back to using again. I had to watch a man plead for money from his mom to get the monkey off his back. I watched a proud man allow drugs to strip him of his dignity and self respect. I watched my friend choose drugs over what we had discussed as possibilities for our futures. Those of you out there who thinks this drug thing is a game, well, you better get ready for a serious wake up call. My friend in a way I am glad that God chose to take you off the streets before you killed someone or someone killed you. I just hope that your life becomes everything you want it to be. I will be praying for you.

No comments: